Vishnu Audio Titles
|Vishnu Sahastranaama A
thousand names, a thousand blessings
The origin of this great text is an interesting thing to observe. This
great Stotra was imparted, with the welfare of future generations in
mind, by Bhishma to Yudhishthira . Six reasons are generally identified
for the greatness of the Stotram. These are :
- It is the essence of the legend of Mahabharata.
- Sages such as Narada, the Alwars, and composers including Saint
Tyagaraja have made repeated references to the "Thousand Names of
Vishnu" in their devotional works.
- The person who strung together the thousand names as part of the
Mahabharata and preserved it for the world was none other than Sage
Vedavyasa, the foremost teacher of the vedas, and considered an incarnation
of Vishnu (vyasaya vishnu rupaya vyasa rupaya vishnave namo.)
- It is the considered opinion of Bhishma, the legendary ancestor
of Pandavas in the famous epic of ‘Mahabharata' that it is the best
and easiest of all dharmas, or the means to attain relief from all
- It is widely accepted that the chanting of this Stotram gives relief
from all sorrows and leads to happiness and peace of mind.
- It is in conformity with the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, Narayaneeya,
MantraOnNet.com, All Rights Reserved